Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Thoughts in my head

What is the difference between an electric kettle and a normal one? Does an electric kettle actually heats up water faster than a normal kettle? Perhaps I should get an electric kettle as well.

I would like to go ice-skating again. It's been like a few years since I last went. Used to go almost every week. The rink is still having the ladies night on Tuesday. Cheap! heh. Wonder if PM's free to go with me. Hmmm.

***
Quippes (whatever that means)

Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, and disregard of all the rules.
~ George Orwell, Shooting an Elephant

He was once a doctor but is now an undertaker; and what he does as an undertaker he used to do as a doctor.
~ Martial

When I drink, I think; and when I think, I drink.
~ Rabelais

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.
~ James Thurber

Arithemic is where the answer is right and everything is nice and you can look out of the window and see the blue sky - or the answer is wrong and you have to start all over and try again and see how it comes out this time.
~ Carl Sandburg, Complete Poems

A man is in general better pleased when he has a good dinner upon his table than when his wife talks Greek.
~ Samuel Johnson

By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may eventually get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.
~ Robert Frost

The cruellest lies are often told in silence.
~ Robert Louis Stevenson

If you once understand an author's character, the comprehension of his writing becomes easy.
~ Longfellow

I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew):
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.
~ Rudyard Kipling

When angry, count four; when very angry, swear.
~ Mark Twain

No mask like open truth to cover lies,
As to go naked is the best disguise.
~ William Congreve

We saw a knotted pendulum, a noose: and a strangled woman swinging there.
~ Sophocles, Oedipus Rex

Suicide is the worst form of murder, because it leaves no opportunity for repentance.
~ John Collins

I never saw a man who looked
With such a wistful eye
Upon that little tent of blue
Which prisoners call the sky
~ Oscar Wilde, The Ballad of Reading Gaol

***
I wonder ... how does it actually feel like to be illiterate? And having no thoughts at all in the head.

Xena's blog is still down. :( Man ... I'm starting to get withdrawal symptomes. heh ... see how addictive reading blogs can be? However, Hammie HAS actually written something in his blog. heh. False alarm? Good thing that.

***
My first correspondence chess game has seen my opponent requesting for a game with the time control of ONE move in SEVEN days. And I had foolishly accepted the challenge. Then strangely enough, it turned out to be TWO games, one being myself as a white player and the other as a black player. The oppenent as a white player has made his move, and I've replied as per normal. That's ONE miserable move TWO days ago, and I'm still waiting for his next move. Obviously I've made my first move in the second game and I'm now yawning away.

Oh wait, he has actually moved his knight in the first game and a pawn in the second game! Hahaha ... this is soo ... absolutely ... idiotic! Can I just abort the games? It's taking way tooo slow. Now ... why weren't the moves announced to me in my email? Or has it already done so? Or do I have to check the webpage everyday? Shessh. I think I'll still prefer over-the-board anytime.

No matter, I just have to be chotto more patient. Arrgh.

Then again, perhaps 7 days per move isn't such a bad idea after all.

heh.

Huh? I'm brand new to the site, and I can't play multiple games? What the ... that's an insult to my intelligence! Wah.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I really like it very much. Fics is still better.

***
Book Review: Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse Mystery.

Had been reading a few of his books lately. Quite interesting at times, but the detective is quite like Sherlock Holmes/Hercule Poirot type. Brillant but rather vague. Sometimes too brillant in fact, how he manages to solve the crime doesn't seem very logical. And he tries to be funny, the inspector himself having quite a number of faults, definitely not as perfect as Sherlock. There's also a Dr. Watson sidekick. It's always useful to have one like! Overall, I won't say I'm extremely impressed by it all, but still ... a nice read.

No comments: