Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Thoughts on my birthday ...

This was something I wanted to write on my birthday, but time was spent enjoying and the day flew by so fast, that I didn't have time to put them down. The thoughts were in my head waiting to be found, a place in my little loft, so that perhaps I'll read them again and remember how I felt on that day.

Three people I know share the same birthday as I. One is a colleague whom I hardly speak 10 sentences to in a year. Another is a secondary school friend whom we were close once and last saw her only during her wedding. The third is someone special, because she is simply extraordinary, unlike you and me with our full physical facilities and health.

V_, is 4 years younger than me. She has motor neurone disease, or whatever it is called. I'm not sure about all this medical mumbo jumbo thingy. I first met her through another close friend who felt that we should meet since we had the same birthday. Also, during that time, I was feeling rather depressed and wallowing in self-pity. It would be good to jolt me back to reality wouldn't it? I think my friend was just sick of me whining away. LOL.

The first time I saw V_ I was rather taken aback. By her physical appearance. I felt awkward and large and clumsy and I didn't know what to say. Would it be deem insensitive if I were to talk about her condition? Would it be too cruel if I were to talk about myself? Or do we simply talk about the weather? But all the awkwardness melted away when she greeted me, curious to know more about me and what I do, and thanks to my friend who is damn chatty and can break the stubborn-est of ice. Sometimes I still feel awkward when I talk to her, but I've learn to set aside the block and treat her just like any other person. She's eager for chatter and I think one does best by simply being there.

I'm not sure about my own feelings towards her, but I know I admire her strength and will to live. I admire her courage to greet each and everyday no matter how terrible her condition is. I envy her cheerfulness and her simple look at the meaning of life. Whatever deep sadness she might have she must have locked it up and simply live each day as the most important day. Perhaps it is us with all our rushing and stressfulness, dreams to do well in life and struggle to be the top who ought to be pitied. Perhaps it's us who never stop to reflect and breathe the precious fresh air and scent of the flowers who are missing out on the importance of life. Stop ... and listen to the wind in the willows, to the breeze humming across the treetops and to the thoughts in your heart. :)

But I'm happy and contented now, and I must remember to remain contented, and not wish for too many things.

:)

No comments: