Saturday, February 19, 2005

Swashbuckling

Ahh, the familiar feeling of butterflies in the tummy, fluttering against the walls trying hard to get out. It's an awful dread feeling, and the heart thumps wildly against the breast. Shoulders hunched, fingers frozed, but thoughts racing faster than one could think.

How I do miss those feelings NOT.

I forgot that the Malaysians liked playing French. And would it be considered unfair to pair me up with a guy? But then again, that wouldn't matter, would it? A gal could be just as good as kicking balls, or maybe better. heh heh. And why is the team captain on the last board, and me on the second? Gee.

To remember forever:
1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nd2 Nc6 4. Ngf3 Bc4 5. c3 Be7
6. Bb5 Bd7 7. 0-0 dxe4 8. Nxe4 a6 9. Bd3 Nf6 10. Ng3 Bd6
11. Qc2 Bxg3 12. fxg3 h6 13. Be3 Ng4 14. Rae1 Qe7 15. d5 Nce5
16. Nxe5 Nxe5 17. dxe6 Bxe6 18. Be4 c6 19. Bd4 f6 20. Bxe5 fxe5
21. Bg6+ Kd8 22. Rxe5 Rf8 23. Qd3+ Kc8 24. Rxf8+ Qxf8 25. Rxe6 Qc5+
26. Kf1 Kb8 27. Re8+ Ka7 28. Rxa8 Kxa8 29. Qd4 Qb5+ 30. c4 Qg5
31. Qxg7 Qc1+ 32. Kf2 Qc4 33. b3 Qc5+ 34. Kf3 Qc1 35. Qg8+ Ka7
36. Qc4 Qa3 37. Qc2 Qf8 38. Bf5 Qf6 39. Kg4 Qf5+ 40. Kf3 Qf6
41. Qc5 b6 42. Qc2 a5 ...

I was running out of time. Only 3 minutes left! Opponent had 20 minutes left. He sure can take it easy. Blitz ah. What was I thinking of? I was one whole bishop up and I failed to exchange the queen properly in move 29. *kicks myself hard* Trying to be too smart for my own good. Trying to grab more pawns so that it would be easier in end game. What have I done! What have I done! *clutches head* Opponent was playing on my time. In the final last minute, I rushed to queen my pawn, almost didn't make it ... and managed to checkmate him with a few seconds left.

And it was a relief. It felt good. It was a win, I would not have settled for a draw.

Boy, that really felt good. I was so lucky to have won, before the flag drops. I can only play properly when I'm super stressed. Some people will never change. That's why I should not be playing competitively any more. :P And it was just a friendly match.

The Malaysians weren't that great personally. I knew I could beat him pretty early in the game, but I took too long to think. He wasn't playing French very correctly, and I made mistakes in the beginning, and he made even more. Perhaps a female opponent might have been more serious in her attacks. I remembered the last time I played French against a Malaysian female. She appeared to know all her moves pretty well. Otherwise, it would be rather risky. Or perhaps I'm just not so silly now.

But the rest of my team weren't that great either. I wonder what happened to all those stronger players. It's quite disappointing to know that I'm the only one who got a point, and another player had a draw. After all that hard work one went through. *sigh* ... I missed my team in JC. And I missed most having YS as team captain, and people like PM and Min as team mates. *sigh* :P

Min, wanna play in the National Women's? heh heh heh.

Ya right ... and with all those kids who has very proper training. siao ah. I would have to go around with my head in a paper bag like Charlie Brown. :P

No comments: