Tuesday, June 08, 2004

What is Love?
I read somewhere before (see ... now I realised how good it is to blog) ... a long time ago, that love can be defined in many ways. The love the parents have for their children and vice versa, the love a man and woman have for each other; the love a person have for God and vice versa ... etc.

So they ask, is there true love? What is true love?

Let's see: True
1 a : STEADFAST, LOYAL; b : HONEST, JUST; c archaic : TRUTHFUL

2 a (1) : being in accordance with the actual state of affairs (true description)
(2) : conformable to an essential reality
(3) : fully realized or fulfilled (dreams come true)
b : IDEAL, ESSENTIAL
c : being that which is the case rather than what is manifest or assumed (the true dimension of the problem)
d : CONSISTENT (true to character)

3 a : properly so called (true love) (the true faith) (the true stomach of ruminant mammals) etc ...


Love:
1 a (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties (maternal love for a child)
(2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers
(3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests
etc ...


Basically, affection for another person. Steadfast. loyal. consistent. Is there such a thing as true love then? True love is something which I know when 50 years down the road, we walk together hand in hand along the beach, looking at the sunset, spending time together, growing old and still having a deep affection for each other. That, is something we want together. It started off with liking, then affection for each other, and one has to continuously feed this affection, let it grow, spending time together and enjoying each other's company, doing things together and laughing together. We aren't always the best person to live with. I know I can be extremely difficult at times. But give a little, take a little, forgive a little and move on together. Both must be willing to take the effort to break down any barriers, be true. He knows my worst tempers, my worst faults. I don't have to be someone else for him, just myself. I love him for who he is and for his affection for me. Love works two ways. It doesn't happen alone. :P

If one party is unwilling to make things work, or if one party's idea of being together is different, then perhaps the affection for each other will slowly starve and people will grow apart. That is all there is to true love. My opinion. As easy as that. Love needs encouragement. It needs communication. It needs all the time to grow and it needs both persons to make it work. :)

And to truely cherish a person, one must look deep within himself/herself first and realised who he/she is. Then can he/she can love and treasure another.

To my hubby: I'll be away for a while. If you are reading this when I'm away, know that I love you ... heh heh ... ;P ... and you'd better be thinking of me everyday too .... *bleah* :) :) :)

And whoever is reading this I don't care if you are having goosebumps. heh heh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful piece on "love" and I commend you for that. Btw, this is the first time that I am "blogging" or responding to a blog... can you guess who I am? I will give you a sweet if you guess correctly :)