Sunday, June 20, 2004

The View From the Plane

It is exactly one week when I took the plane back to Singapore from Bali. I still missed that place. *sigh* It's always rather depressing when one's holiday ends, and one has to return to reality and back to work soon. Where troubles and worries await, getting ready to pounce on one ...

Oh well ...

Anyway, I always like to get the window seat in the plane. Wen likes the aisle seats, how different can we get? :) And we managed to get what we want on the flight back. With an empty seat in between us. What more could we ask for right? heh heh. I had my nose stuck to the window during take off and landing since there was no movie for entertainment. It was afternoon, and the skies were sooo sooo blue .... the clouds were wonderful and the land fell behind in green and gold and brown .... The runway at Bali was by the sea. Faster and faster we went, the stream of deep blue sea sparkled in the sun and was soon left behind. The clouds were so white, hiding secret flying lands in them. Perhaps there were flying turtles swimming in and around the clouds, saying hi to each other and playing hide and seek with one another. When the plane flew past, they'll duck into the clouds and watch secretively from under all the white puffs, with big unblinking eyes. Grandpa turtle would of course choose the largest cloud to sunbathe. The sun was golden with the rays clear and truthful, and Grandpa turtle would definitely need sunglasses. Besides he'll want to look cool in his flowery kakhis and straw hat, drinking his ice-on-high squash. I was trying very hard to catch the little turtles flying in the sea of sky-blue. Perhaps they're flying with the plane, only making sure to keep within the 'blind-spot' of the travellers inside. Or perhaps the glitter in the blue sky is them, as the light falls on the flying turtles and reflect back into our eyes. Or perhaps our brains just cannot acknowledge the flying turtles and we only see them as one and the same as the snow-white clouds.

Who knows right? How would you know if the cloud you saw was a cloud and not just another flying turtle? :)

And as the plane reached its destination, the clouds parted again and the land of greens and browns and golds came ever closer and larger. The blue skies meet with the deep bluish-green sea and the ships and boats in the waves become more distinct. The ships seemed frozen in time, with little trails of waves slinking behind them. I saw trees and trees and tress, of different sizes and shapes and colours. I saw winding rivers and ox-bow lakes snaking in and out so calm and collect. I saw footpaths and sandroads and bitumen-filled roads. I saw toy houses and toy cars and ... no, I couldn't see toy people. heh. And as the plane circled in again, everything became slightly larger through the magnifying glass but there was still an illusion of unreality. Me, the giant watching the lilliputians. If I could just reach out my hand through the glass pane and picked up the toys on the ground. My breath would cause the trees to sway in the breeze and just a few steps would reach me the horizon. Oh, how powerful and grand it all was!

Then the plane touched ground. Without a bump really! And reality slowly floated back to me. I think it's really easy to fly a plane in the air rather than driving a plane around the runway. Are you sure the windspan of our plane won't hit that plane parked next to us? Huh? You sure? All to soon, we are made to leave.

:)

I always liked a window seat because I liked looking out of the window. During the flight there, the window seat was really wasted on the two ladies. Chitter-chatter all the way, head to toe all expensive branded goods. humf. I liked the window seat because I can curl up by the window and draw my legs in. If it is a long flight I'll probably ended up with different contortions and poses. And sometimes I'll go to the back of the plane and do some stretching. Good thing I'm small size. Nope, no lilliputian here. heh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Flying turtles - underwater :-) Flap flap flap.