Thursday, June 17, 2004

Okie ... I've calmed down now. Watched Harry Potter last night. Was quite a nice movie, except that it's not so exciting since I knew that SB was good and RL was a werewolf all along. No surprises. The dementors weren't quite scary, but reminded me of the frighteners. Maybe the mood just wasn't there. Or maybe simply I'm more jaded now and didn't find such kiddy movies exciting anymore. One's life moves in stages. When I read Harry Potter, it reminded me of reading those books by Enid Blyton when I was young. Books such as 'The Naughtest Girl in the School' and others which I can't remember now. Harry Potter is simply a story about the adventures of boys and girls in a boarding school where their adventures include magic. It also adds in the age-old tired theme of good vs evil where at the end of the day good wins over evil. Boring. The stories just move from one adventure after another, like a rojak trying to put in all the things which gives cheap thrills together and so that it can sell to audiences. Perhaps I'm just not in the best mood for fantasy stories right now. Or I've read too many of such similiar types which are so much better that HP doesn't give me a kick anymore. Some say the third story is dark? Dark? Give me Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman books anytime. From Dragonlance to Seventh Gate to Darksword to the latest Sovereign Stone Trilogy ... now those are dark. Spine chilling dark. Damn, I'm still waiting for the third book of Sovereign Stone Trilogy .... huh? amazon is selling it already? How come I don't see it at Kino??? Waaah. ...

Okie, if you really want a dark and gloomy book, read George Orwell 1984. Now ... that is the most depressing book I've read! It really gave me chills down my spine. heh .. it really felt like the dementors sucking happiness out of me. :P There's just a complete feeling of hopelessness after reading it. It's really depressing. Not recommended to read if you are someone who gets affected easily. I read it about three of four years ago, quite possibly a mistake actually. I don't think I'll ever read it again.

Read George Orwell 1984 here.

No comments: